Proof of german

Proof of German required by Austrian universities

Proof of german

As a foreign student you must prove adequate knowledge of the German language in order to study in Austria.

As a general rule, you will have to take a German language proficiency test - DaF ( Deutsch als Fremdsprache). Having passed the DaF you won't have problems entering any University. However, certain Universities and courses require a less formal proof of language skills, so check out the exact requirements directly with your University.

  • In some cases, you might be exempted from the DaF, for example:
  • for a single semester periods of study in Austria (some institutions allow 2 semesters)
  • if you hold a higher education entrance qualification ( Abitur) from a recognised school (in Austria or abroad) at which German was the language of instruction
  • hold the Goethe-Institute's minor or major German Language Certificate ( Kleines/Großes Sprachdiplom) or advanced level 'Central Advanced Language Test' ( Zentrale Oberstufenprüfung)
  • if you hold the 'German Language Certificate, Level II'

Let's say you need the DaF and have absolutely no knowledge of German, how long will it take you ? A tricky question - this depends on how much time you can spend on picking up the language. Within a couple of months (while actually living in Austria) you should be able to pass the DaF without problems. Remember: the best way to learn a language is having to use it.

Further reading

Does this article help?

Do you have any comments, updates or questions on this topic? Ask them here: