As a general rule, you will have to take a German language proficiency test - DaF ( Deutsch als Fremdsprache). Having passed the DaF you won't have problems entering any University. However, certain Universities and courses require a less formal proof of language skills, so check out the exact requirements directly with your University.
- In some cases, you might be exempted from the DaF, for example:
- for a single semester periods of study in Austria (some institutions allow 2 semesters)
- if you hold a higher education entrance qualification ( Abitur) from a recognised school (in Austria or abroad) at which German was the language of instruction
- hold the Goethe-Institute's minor or major German Language Certificate ( Kleines/Großes Sprachdiplom) or advanced level 'Central Advanced Language Test' ( Zentrale Oberstufenprüfung)
- if you hold the 'German Language Certificate, Level II'
Let's say you need the DaF and have absolutely no knowledge of German, how long will it take you ? A tricky question - this depends on how much time you can spend on picking up the language. Within a couple of months (while actually living in Austria) you should be able to pass the DaF without problems. Remember: the best way to learn a language is having to use it.