Visas for Brazil

Temporary visas and temporary residence

Visas for Brazil

When first dealing with Brazilian visas the quantity of different types and requirements might seem a bit overwhelming. The immigration process is further complicated by the fact that most forms and applications are only available in Portuguese.

The different Brazilian visas can be broadly classified into two groups: temporary and temporary residence visas.

Temporary visas

VITUR - Tourist visa: Citizens who require a tourist visa have to apply for it in a Brazilian embassy or consulate in their home country. They must hold a valid return ticket and provide proof of sufficient funds for the duration of their stay. A tourist visa does not permit any kind of work.

VITEM 1 - Cooperation visa: For entering Brazil for the purpose of participation in work that is part of an international cooperation program. It includes conferences, professional training, as well as athletes, volunteers and medical tourists. Every passenger needs a technical visa, irrespective of nationality.

VITEM 2 - Business visa: This type of visa is similar to a tourist visa and covers business trips. The applicant must hold a form filled in by his company stating the purpose and the length of the trip.

Whether a tourist or a business visa is required depends on the agreement between Brazil and the particular country. Passengers who do not need a tourist or business visa only have to tick the appropriate box on the entry/departure form (Cartao de Entrada/Saída) stating 'business' or 'tourism'. However, note that the immigration officials are allowed to ask any entering tourist for a return ticket and for proof of sufficient financial funds, regardless of his nationality, so keep these documents ready.

Both visa types allow multiple entries and permit a stay of 90 days. Only one extension is possible but the total duration must not exceed 180 days in a 12 months period starting from entry in Brazil.

To apply for an extension of the tourist and business visa you must go to the Federal Police office (Polícia Federal) and provide an airline ticket and proof of sufficient financial funds.

Temporary residence visas

Temporary residence visas involve considerably more bureaucracy than the simple tourist or business visas. However, they allow a longer duration and authorise the visitor to bring in household items. The duration of these visa types depends on the specific activity for which they are issued. There are different types of temporary visas.

VITEM 3 - Performers visa: for athletes or artists participating in paid events, as well as their support staff.

VITEM 4 - Student visa: for students and unpaid student interns. If the student stays for more than 6 months, immediate family members can apply for the same kind of visa, though they may not undertake any paid job while in the country.

When applying for a student visa, apart from the documents that everyone has to present, you will need a confirmation of the educational institution in Brazil stating your enrollment and the duration of your stay. Your host university or school has to be recognised by the Brazilian Ministry of Education. As financial proof you can also provide a formal obligation of your parents in which they warrant financial support or a copy of a grant of scholarship. If you have an internship, you need to show an agreement that confirms the period of work. As a student in Brazil you are not permitted to take up any remunerated job.

VITEM 5 - Work visa: for people working in Brazil with or without an employment contract, including professional training and internship in Brazilian branches of international companies. To be issued a work visa you will need a letter from the company when you will be working stating the date of the beginning and end of the contract.

This visa does not apply to people receiving training, undertaking research or educational activities (which requires VITEM-1), artists or athletes (VITEM-3), investors intending to stay in Brazil and members of a commercial, civil, non-profit or financial organization (requires Permanent visa).

Emergency work visas may be issued for foreigners needed to perform emergency work to prevent imminent risk to life or property.

VITEM 6 - Journalism visa: for media professionals.

VITEM 7 - Religious visa: for clergymen and missionaries going to Brazil to undertake missionary or academic work.

Other visas

Additionally, there are the following visa types:

VIPER - Permanent visa: for people moving to Brazil permanently. Categories of people eligible for VIPER are: people joining an immediate family member that is either a Brazilian citizens or a permanent resident, retirees, directors of religious or charity associations, people with personal investments in Brazil, directors of companies transferred from abroad, people with exceptional abilities in sciences, technology and academia, with a job offer. Check out this page for more information.

VIDIP/VISOF - Diplomatic visa: diplomats and officials from governments or international organizations going to Brazil on official visit.


Apply for the respective visa well before your departure to Brazil at a Brazilian embassy or consulate in your home country. In most cases the application process takes 2-3 months. Once in Brazil you have to register with the Federal Police within 30 days of your arrival.

Temporary residence visas allow their holders to acquire visas for accompanying family members. However, the latter are not authorised to apply for a work permit.

The length of time the visa is valid depends on the type and the reason you request it.

For all temporary visas you will have to submit the following documents:

  • a passport with a minimum remaining validity of 6 months
  • application form (Pedido de Visto) in duplicate
  • at least two passport-size photos
  • police statement of no criminal record (not older than 3 months), original and copy
  • proof of sufficient funds for the duration of the stay
  • medical examination (if applicable)

While no vaccination is required, the yellow fever vaccination is strongly recommended.

In addition, you will have to submit further documentation depending on the type of visa you are applying for.

Some visa holders may need to register with the Federal Police within 30 days of their arrival in Brazil, or may incur fines. If you need to register, a form will be given to you. Holders of tourist and business (VITEM-2) visas are exempt, while for VITEM 1,3,4 visas in is applicable for only certain travellers.

Further reading

Does this article help?

Do you have any comments, updates or questions on this topic? Ask them here: