Planning your trip to Canada

What to do before leaving

Planning your trip to Canada

Whether you are planning on visiting the West Coast Rocky Mountains or the Maritime beaches, there are certain things to consider before leaving. It is important to know not only how you are getting there, but also to have the necessary documents for your stay in the country.

Choosing your airline company

Canada is the second biggest country in the world, so many different airline companies all over the world can take you there. However, most of them only go to the major cities, such as Montreal, Toronto and Vancouver, where you might have to take correspondences to fly to your final destination. Canada does not have a wide range of airline companies flying between cities, so you will most likely be travelling with Air Canada, WestJet or Porter Air, who only have up one or two flights per day going to smaller cities.

Not all airlines have the same baggage and weight restrictions, so make sure to look up this information since overweight and oversize baggage can have a large fee. If you are traveling within Canada, the carry-on luggage restrictions might also change.


Although Canada is lucky to have all four seasons, it can be complicated for travellers to pack appropriately for their stay. It is widely known that Canadian winters are long, hard and cold, but keep in mind that it can get as hot as 30 degrees during summers, depending on where you are traveling. If you will be there during the winter months, it is important to have warm clothes. These can be bought in Canada, but it is recommended that you leave with at least a winter jacket and boots to survive your first few days.

Canada has a strict list of food and items forbidden from entering the country, so it is important to pack wisely and to follow the restrictions. If you are having any doubts, contact the Canadian consulate in your home country.

Getting your visa

Most travellers need a visa before going to Canada, no matter the duration of the stay. If you are planning on flying to Canada, you will need a Electronic Travel Authorization (eTA), which will allow you to travel freely in the country for up to six months. Once you get your eTA, it will be valid for five years, or if your passport expires, until that date.

Getting an eTA will typically only take a couple of hours, but depending on the amount of applications can take up to several days. If you want to speed things up, you can apply for your Canadian eTA visa online  and receive it the same day with e-Visum.

Finding accommodation

Finding accommodation in Canada for a few months might not be easy if you are looking to rent an apartment as contracts tend to last at least a year. Agencies also don’t always advertise for their vacancies online, but only outside the buildings, making it harder to find something if you are not already in Canada.

Holiday rentals are easier to find since many ads are posted online and don’t often require contracts. Many websites offer stays of different lengths in houses or apartments, and range from a few days to a few months.

Getting ready

Being well prepared is key before going on your adventure. If you are planning to stay for more than a few weeks, make sure you give yourself time to get ready by having the right documents, your travel ticket and your place to stay. By doing so, you will be able to enjoy your trip without having to worry about organization once in Canada.

Further reading

Does this article help?

Do you have any comments, updates or questions on this topic? Ask them here: