Study Permits

Visas for studying in Canada

Study Permits

If you plan to come to Canada as a student and are not a Canadian Citizen or Landed Immigrant, you may need to apply for a Study Visa.

Every year, over 130,000 students arrive to Canada to study at different universities, colleges, high schools and private institutions. In addition, many others come to Canada to study English and/or French. Canadians highly value the students that come from different cultures as they bring the diversity of knowledge to the Canadian education system. In Canada, the education system is regulated by the provinces where the educational institutions are located.

Who needs a study permit?

If you are planning to study in Canada for longer than 6 months, you will be required to obtain a study permit from a Canadian consulate, high commission or embassy. If you plan to stay in Canada for less than six months on a tourist visa, and subsequently study for longer than 6 months, it is recommended that the study permit is obtained prior to initial arrival to Canada. If you do not, you may be required to leave Canada in order to apply for the study permit and continue your studies.

Who does not need a study permit?

Some individuals are exempted from requiring a study permit. You do not need a Study Permit if you are planning to take a course or program in Canada for a period of six months or less. You must complete the course or program within the period authorized for your stay in Canada. You also do not need a Study Permit if you are a minor child already in Canada, and your parents are not “visitors” in Canada but rather refugees or individuals pursuing permanent residency. Finally, if you are a family or staff member of a foreign representative to Canada accredited by the Department of Foreign Affairs and International Trade, then you do not need a Study Permit to study in Canada.

Further reading

Does this article help?

Do you have any comments, updates or questions on this topic? Ask them here: