Household insurance

Obligatory or just a good idea?

Household insurance

If you live in a rented accommodation your landlord will be responsible for the security of the building. However, you will have to protect your personal belongings yourself. A household contents insurance is highly recommended although it is not obligatory.

Arranging an insurance with a Czech or international company in the Czech Republic is quite easy. You can visit a local office personally or make an arrangement through a reputable agent. Almost all companies have English speaking staff willing to help you with the application. The paperwork however will be in Czech.  and  are two recommendable companies that offer household insurance in the Czech Republic. The fee, of approximately 50€ a year, is paid annually.

Security in the Czech Republic

Although it is easy to get insurance protection, it might sometimes be difficult and time-consuming to claim from the insurer. Therefore, you should stick to some basic rules to avoid needing the insurance in the first place.

When you move into your new apartment make sure you install some extra locks for protection. Since the regular locks for the apartments have probably never been changed there are many people that might still have access.

If you have any expensive equipment in your apartment make sure it cannot be seen from outside your flat. You don't want to attract anyone by showing them the valuables you have in your flat.

If you live on the ground floor installing iron bars in front of your windows is recommended. Although this seems to be a drastic measure you will soon notice that this is very common in the Czech Republic.

If you have a bike then don't put it in the basement bicycle storage area. It is also not advisable to leave it on the bike rack outside your house. Although it might be annoying you should always take your bike up to your apartment.

Further reading

Does this article help?

Do you have any comments, updates or questions on this topic? Ask them here: