Self-employment in Finland

The guide to being self-employed

Self-employment in Finland

Self-employment is becoming increasingly popular in Finland and is strongly encouraged by the government through various start-up grants. To become self-employed in Finland, you have two options: you can either set up your own business or use an umbrella company.

Self-employment through your own business

If you want to become self-employed by setting up a business/legal entity, the first thing you need to do is choose a business type. There are a number of different business/company types in Finland, ranging from simply being able to invoice clients to establishing a limited company and employing workers.

If you are part of the Finnish social security system and you are unemployed, you can apply for a startup grant  from TE-Palvelut. Read our how to set up a business in Finland article for a detailed, step by step guide on the whole process.

Self-employment through an umbrella company

If you do not want to set-up your own business, you can use an umbrella company, also known as light entrepreneurship (kevytyrittäjyys). This means you use a third party company (the umbrella company) to invoice your clients. Your clients pay the umbrella company and the umbrella company then pays you a wage after deducting your social security. In this way, you do not need to worry about sorting out your social security contributions, but you still have the same flexibility as if you are self-employed e.g. you choose your clients, your fees and your working hours.

Umbrella companies can be a great option to start with, especially to test your business idea, but setting up your own business can be more financially rewarding in the long-term as you can benefit from tax deductions and government funding.

Visa requirements for self-employment

If you are from an EU/EEA member country or Switzerland, you don’t need any special permits to become self-employed. You just need to register your right to stay in Finland  and get a Finnish personal identity code.

If you are not from an EU/EEA member country and you have a residency permit, you do not need to apply for any extra permits. If you do not have a residence permit, you can apply for a startup permit. This allows you to reside in Finland and set up a company. Contact Business Finland  for more information.

Registering as self-employed

If you chose to use an umbrella company, they will often sort out all the paperwork for you. If you decide to set up your own company, you need to report your new business  to the Finnish Patent and Registration Office (PRH), and the Tax Administration.

Social security for the self-employed

The Finnish social security system is funded by employee and employer contributions. When you are employed, you (as the employee) pay social security contributions and your employer also pays social security contributions on your behalf. If you are self-employed, you need to pay all your social security contributions yourself.

To benefit from the social security system, you need to arrange pension insurance  under the Self-Employed Persons’ Pensions Act (YEL).

Further reading

Does this article help?

Do you have any comments, updates or questions on this topic? Ask them here: