Visits of under 90 days


Visitors can remain in Greece for a maximum of 90 days at a time.

Visitors to Greece from EEA countries plus Andorra, Argentina, Australia, Bolivia, Brazil, Canada, Chile, Costa Rica, Croatia, El Salvador, Guatemala, Israel, Japan, Malaysia, Mexico, Monaco, New Zealand, Nicaragua, Panama, Paraguay, Singapore, South Korea, Switzerland, Uruguay, the USA and Venezuela don’t require a visa for stays of up to 90 days. All other nationalities require a visa to visit Greece, although the list of countries requiring visas is liable to change at short notice and therefore you should check with the Greek embassy in your home country.

A three-month tourist visa costs around US$20. Greek immigration authorities usually require non-EEA visitors to produce a return ticket and proof of accommodation, health insurance and financial resources. Note that Greece will refuse entry to any foreigners, whatever their nationality, whose passport indicates that they’ve visited Northern Cyprus since November 1993.

If you plan to travel to Greece overland via Bulgaria, Croatia, FYR Macedonia, Romania or Serbia and Montenegro, you should check visa regulations for these countries (some require transit visas, usually obtainable at the border).

 If you're a non-EEA national you must ensure that you have your passport stamped upon entering Greece (this may not be automatic if you arrive from another Schengen state) so that when you leave it’s clear that you haven’t overstayed the 90-day limit. If you remain in Greece for longer than 90 days without extending your visa (see Visa Extensions below) you’re liable for a fine (€450) and may be temporarily banned from re-entering Greece. Note that Greek immigration authorities are very strict with regard to visas and the 90-day limit.

Visa Extensions

A three-month extension to a tourist visa is available for non-EEA nationals, although this can be difficult to obtain. Applications should be made to a local police station at least two weeks before your tourist visa or 90-day stay expires.

Changing Status

If you’re a non-EEA national, it isn’t possible to enter Greece as a tourist and change your status to that of an employee, student or resident. You must return to your country of residence and apply for a long-stay visa.

 Non-EEA nationals should make sure their passport is valid for at least three months after they plan to leave Greece.

Further reading

Does this article help?

Do you have any comments, updates or questions on this topic? Ask them here: