The stereotype image of India as a land of snake charmers and trumpeting elephants is now a thing of the past. Far from being mostly a historical and cultural tourist destination for a long time, India has now emerged as an important travel destination for discerning adventure sports enthusiasts in recent years. India is arguably the only country in the world, which offers such sheer variety of adventure opportunities.
Adventure sports in India are fast gaining popularity. India as a country, has emerged as one of the most famous destinations for adventure sports in the world. India offers great opportunities for adventure travellers, who are looking for a variety of experiences. The Indian topography is such that, its diversity and variation from snow capped mountains on the one hand, to sea and desert on the other. makes the Indian sub continent an ideal adventure sports destination.
From trekking, paragliding, mountaineering and rafting to scuba diving, India promises to offer enthusiastic travellers an experience of a lifetime. The northern part of the country offers wonderful opportunities for trekking, mountaineering, paragliding, skiing and river rafting. And the southern part of India forms an amazing destination for water sports.
Top adventure ideas:
- Glacier trek from Gangotri, Uttarakhand - Trekking experience in the high reaches of Uttarakhand, Gaumukh Glacier in Gangotri is phenomenal.
- Ski the slopes in Solang, Himachal Pradesh
- Spot the Asiatic Lion at Sasan Gir, Gujarat - The Sasan Gir Lion Sanctuary in the Indian State of Gujarat offers a great experience for all travellers.
- Climbing in Himachal Pradesh - the hills and mountains of Himachal Pradesh are great for trekking and mountaineering. There are certainly some perfect hills and mountains to climb. Mount Abu, Uttarakhand and the Aravalli Hills Delhi, the toughest and best ones are in the Manali and Dharamshala region.
- Scuba Diving in the Andaman Islands - These islands are popular for scuba diving. The sparkling clear and pristine waters are home to exotic marine life like stingrays, manta rays, glassfish and angel fish amongst others. Surrounded by picturesque coral reefs, the island is considered to be the Mecca for scuba divers looking for virgin waters, Besides diving, you can snorkel and also go kayaking through mangroves or explore the forests on the island.
- Paragliding at Kamshet, Maharashtra - For thrills of paragliding, Kamshet is the perfect place.