Double Taxation

How to avoid being taxed twice

Double Taxation

Irish residents are taxed on their world-wide income, subject to certain treaty exceptions (non-residents are taxed only on income arising in Ireland).

Citizens of most countries are exempt from paying taxes in their home country when they spend a minimum period abroad, e.g. one year. Ireland has double taxation treaties with many countries, designed to ensure that income that has been taxed in one treaty country isn’t taxed again in Ireland. The treaty establishes a tax credit or exemption on certain kinds of income, either in the country of residence or the country where the income is earned.

Ireland's double taxation agreements are held with the following countries: Albania, Armenia, Australia, Austria, Bahrain, Belarus, Belgium, Bosnia & Herzegovina, Botswana, Bulgaria, Canada, Chile, China, Croatia, Cyprus, the Czech Republic, Denmark, Egypt, Estonia, Ethiopia, Finland, France, Georgia, Germany, Greece, Hong Kong, Hungary, Iceland, India, Israel, Italy, Japan, the Republic of Korea, Kuwait, Latvia, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Macedonia, Malaysia, Malta, Mexico, Moldova, Montenegro, Morocco, the Netherlands, New Zealand, Norway, Pakistan, Panama, Poland, Portugal, Qatar, Romania, Russia, Saudi Arabia, Serbia, Singapore, Slovakia, Slovenia, South Africa, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, Thailand, Turkey, UAE, Ukraine, the UK, the USA, Uzbekistan, Vietnam and Zambia.

Where applicable, a double taxation treaty prevails over domestic law. For more information on double taxation agreements, Tel. 067-3353.

Even when there’s no double taxation agreement between Ireland and your country of residence, you can still obtain relief from double taxation. In these cases overseas tax may be deducted as an expense, but there are certain qualifying criteria. Note that if your tax liability in another country is lower than that in Ireland, you must pay the Irish Revenue Commissioners the difference. If you’re in doubt about your tax liability in your home country, contact your nearest embassy or consulate in Ireland. The USA is the only country that taxes its non-resident citizens on income earned abroad (US citizens can obtain a copy of a brochure, Tax Guide for Americans Abroad, from American consulates).

Leaving Ireland

When leaving Ireland, foreigners must pay any tax due for the previous year and the year of departure. A tax return can be filed before or after departure and must include your income and deductions from the start of the tax year in the year of departure up to the date of departure. When departure is made before the start of the tax year, the previous year’s taxes are applied. If this results in overpayment, a claim must be made for a refund. A tax clearance certificate isn’t required before leaving Ireland.

Further reading

Does this article help?

Do you have any comments, updates or questions on this topic? Ask them here: