You can always rent a car if buying one is too expensive. The minimum age for renting a car in the Philippines differs per agency. For instance AVIS Philippines states “Avis allows minimum of 21 years of age for credit card renters & 25 years old for cash renters”. Yet Airports Car Hire and other sites mention that you can hire a car once you are 18, depending on the type of car you want.
For most rental cars, foreigners need the following before making the reservation:
- A copy of a valid original passport.
- A copy of your driver’s license (for insurance purposes)
- Proof of billing abroad
- Proof of accommodation
- Copy of your flight ticket
Keep in mind that some companies require a minimum of three years of driving experience, a reservation fee or a certain minimum age. This differs per company so make sure that you check beforehand!
While actually getting the car, companies may ask for:
- Original passport (or another ID) or copy of credit card (both sides)
- Rest of the rental balance (cash)
- Security deposit (most of the times this is 10,000 PHP)
- Sometimes a copy of your plane ticket
A few companies that may be of interest for you could be: