Admissions in Russia

Higher education requirements

Admissions in Russia

Russia's top universities have very competitive entry requirements. Special exams are held annually to determine admission. Foreign students and foreign qualifications are welcome in Russia but you must follow certain procedures.

Russian citizens (even if residing outside of Russia) must apply for studies according to their test results and academic achievements. They’re expected to communicate directly with an institutions’ admissions office.

Dual citizens can apply as foreign students using their non-Russian passport. It is a strict policy, that applicants for advanced degrees should have their prior degree in the same or a very similar field.

Admission for both university and non-university higher education requires a high school degree with a minimum mark of satisfactory. Passing an oral interview is another usual requisite for entry. Nursing schools and police academies will include their own obligatory instructional exams.

Admission of Foreign Students

Foreign students must have completed secondary education. Admission also requires passing an entrance exam. A mandatory, pre-academic year is necessary for those who do not speak Russian and/or have weak pre-university training.

Foreign applicants entering universities should not be older than 28 (35 for PhD studies).You also need a student visa and financial guarantees.

Admission procedures and applications should go through the individual institution. You can also apply to the Russian Ministry of Education.

Application closing dates for non-university (technical or vocational) studies is July 15. For university level studies and for advanced/doctoral studies the application deadline is April 1.

Recognition of Foreign Qualifications in Russia

Russia acknowledges foreign degrees, as long as your home institution is accredited by the Ministry of Education. In this case, you may be issued a State Diploma which is recognized within Russia.

If your degree is not officially accepted, you can also apply to bodies that specialize in the recognition of foreign credentials (i.e. the Division of International Education and Cooperation of the Ministry of Education).

Further reading

Does this article help?

Do you have any comments, updates or questions on this topic? Ask them here: