Retired Persons and Medical Permits

Who can apply?

Retired Persons and Medical Permits

Retired Persons and Medical Permits applications must be made at the local Department of Home Affairs office or the nearest South African Embassy, Mission or Consulate.

There is no minimum or maximum age limit for applications under this category. A separate application for permanent residency can also be made if required.

Retired person visa application

Retired person’s visas are issued up to four years, with the option to extend for an additional four years should the requirement still be met. 

Who can apply?

Individuals who are able to demonstrate that they possess a minimum prescribed net worth of R37 000 per month, per applicant. Capital assets including property rental income and pensions can count toward realizing this amount.

If submitting abroad, an application for a retired person's visa requires the following:

  • A completed DHA-1738 application form ;
  • Original passport;
  • Copies of passport and previous visas;
  • Original bank payment / electronic fund transfer receipt for each applicant;
  • Original and copy of bank receipt per applicant in case of repatriation;
  • Appointment letter;
  • Passport valid for no less than 30 calendar days after expiry of the intended visit;
  • A medical report not older than 6 months;
  • A radiological report not older than 6 months;
  • Marriage certificate or in the case of a foreign spousal relationship, proof of official recognition thereof issued by the authorities of the foreign country of the applicant (where applicable);
  • The affidavit where a spousal relationship to a South African citizen or resident is applicable as well as documentation proving cohabitation and the extent to which the related financial responsibilities are shared by the parties and setting out the particulars of children in the spousal relationship;
  • Proof of a union recognised in terms of the Recognition of Customary Marriages Act, 1998 (Act No. 120 of 1998), where applicable;
  • Divorce decree, where applicable;
  • Proof of court order awarding custody, where applicable;
  • Death certificate, in respect of late spouse, where applicable;
  • Written consent from both parents and/or sole custody parent, where applicable, with proof of sole custody;
  • Proof of legal adoption where applicable;
  • Legal separation order, where applicable;
  • Police clearance certificate issued by the police or security authority in each country where the relevant applicant resided for 12 months or longer after attaining the age of 18 years, in respect of criminal records or the character of that applicant, which certificate shall not be older than six months at the time of its submission;
  • A yellow fever vaccination certificate if that person travelled or intends to travel from or through a yellow fever endemic area;
  • The right to a pension or an irrevocable annuity or retirement account which will give such foreigner a prescribed minimum payment of R37 000 per month for the rest of his or her life from the country of his or her origin; or a minimum prescribed net worth R37 000 which may include a combination of assets realising per month;
  • Proof of payment of the applicable fee.

Medical treatment visa application

Medical treatment visas are intended for individuals seeking medical attention in the country, and are valid for six months. This visa category does not allow the applicant to work in South Africa.

Who can apply?

The applicant would need to book medical treatment through a medical institution or practice in South Africa and request supporting documentation outlining the procedure from the relevant doctor or practitioner.

If submitting abroad, an application for a medical treatment visa requires the following:

A completed DHA-1738 application form ;
  • A passport with at least 1 free page for a visa;
  • The passport must be valid for 30 days after end of the intended visit;
Payment of the prescribed fee; 

  • Proof of financial means to cover your day to day expenses as well as those of persons accompanying you (the medical permit holder), if any, in the form of: bank statements, cash available or 
travellers’ cheques;

  • A letter from your medical practitioner or a medical institution, indicating the reasons/ necessity for treatment, the period of treatment and particulars of the treatment plans in the Republic of South Africa; 

  • Details of the person or institution responsible for your medical expenses and hospital fees;
Should your medical scheme or employer not be liable for expenses incurred, proof of financial means or medical cover must be submitted;
Proof of sufficient financial means or provision for the costs indirectly related to the treatment;
Particulars of persons accompanying you; 

  • A copy of a return or onward air ticket;
  • The department may request a cash deposit equivalent to the value of an air ticket to the country of your origin or residence;
A vaccination certificate if required by law.

The information in this article was submitted by Le Roux Attorneys Inc. , specialists in South African immigration.

Further reading

Does this article help?

Do you have any comments, updates or questions on this topic? Ask them here: