Non-immigrant visas

Staying for a limited time in Thailand

Non-immigrant visas

A non-immigrant visa gives you the right to come to Thailand to work, study, retire or join the family.

Non-immigrant visas are dividing into different categories which reflect the purpose of your stay. When you apply for a non-immigrant visa, you will have to apply within one of these categories. The most common types of visas are:

  • B visa - to work in Thailand or to conduct business
  • ED visa - to study in Thailand
  • O visa - to stay with the family (i.e. for spouses and children of foreign workers), to retire or to receive medical treatment in Thailand

In addition, there are some visa categories for special cases:

  • F visa - official duties visa
  • IM and IB visa - investment visa
  • M visa – visa for film-producers, journalists or reporters
  • R visa – visa for missionary work or other religious activities
  • RS visa - visa for scientific research or training or teaching in a research institute
  • EX visa – visa for skilled work or for the work as an expert or specialist

Registration in Thailand

Regardless of the amount of time you spend in Thailand, you will need to notify the Immigration Bureau every 90 days, and update them with your current address. You will need to fill in a simple form but there is no fee. Make sure you complete this notification 7 days before the expiry date. If you miss the expiry date, even if just by one day, you will have to pay a fine of 5,000 Baht and also risk losing your visa.

Further reading

Does this article help?

Do you have any comments, updates or questions on this topic? Ask them here: