Vehicle importation

Bringing your car from home

If you intend to permanently import your vehicle from abroad to the UK, it must be registered and licensed as soon as possible after its arrival in Britain. Your car will probably need to pass a Single Vehicle Approval (SVA) test, and if it is over three years old it will have to take and pass a Ministry of Transport (MOT) test.

Registration requires completion of a V55/4 form for new vehicles or a V55/5 form for used vehicles (both available from all UK post offices) with all necessary supporting documents. For full details click here .

Visitors to the UK may use a vehicle displaying foreign number plates for up to 6 months (within a 12 month period), provided that all taxes are paid in your country of origin. © 2003-2021 Just Landed