Studying in Hungary

Getting a study visa

Getting permission to study in Hungary if you are undertaking a recognised course of study is normally a straightforward process if the correct documentation is presented and forms are completed correctly and in full.

Application forms for the residence visa (required for entry to Hungary for study in some cases) are available online for download as PDF documents in 5 languages (English, French, German, Russian and Hungarian) from the website of the Hungarian Ministry of Foreign affairs ( Külügyminisztérium) at:  .

EU and EEA citizens

Provided your stay in Hungary does not exceed 3 months, you do not require a study visa. Your passport and/or national identity card are sufficient documentation for your entry and residence in Hungary for study purposes.

If you are planning to stay longer, you need to apply for a study visa, which you are entitled to be granted with the submission of the following documents:

Make sure that you have health insurance which covers your stay in Hungary. If you haven't yet received it, ask your health insurance agency of your home country to issue a European Health Insurance Card. You can also apply for free insurance cover from a Hungarian health insurance company by submitting your certificate of enrolment at your host university (in Hungarian).

Non-EU citizens

As a non-EU citizen you are required to apply for a residence visa if you wish to study in Hungary. On the application form you will be asked to give details of:

In the application for a study visa you have to enclose: © 2003-2021 Just Landed