U.S. citizen marrying Dutch person question

  • I am an American engaged to a Dutch man, we would like to live in Holland but are unsure how to go about getting the correct Visa, permits, etc.

    We plan to marry in the U.S. and travel to Holland right afterward, is there anything we need to apply for beforehand? Or can I travel there on a regular Visa and then apply for residency when I arrive?

    Or would it be better to marry in Holland?

    We're looking for the easiest route to getting married and living there... any help is appreciated.

    29 dec 2004, 06:04 Anonymous
Deze forums zijn niet langer actief. Als je een nieuwe discussie wilt starten, ga dan naar onze nieuwe Nederland Forums.


  • I also have the same problem

    I am a Hong Kong girl who want to stay with my Dutch boyfriend in Holland, but we don't know what to do. We are both university graduates and would like to live together. Have you found any solution yet?

    Anonymous 04 jan 2005, 03:06 - Rapporteer misbruik
  • Residency

    What we have found out is that it's basically a matter of filling out paperwork and paying fees, around $500 U.S. dollars for me and another $500 for my two children. Within 3 days of arriving in Holland I need to apply for residency, we will be marrying in the U.S. so I will have to provide an apostilized copy of our marriage certificate, and also need health insurance in which I will purchase travel insurance through the U.S. for one year (I guess it's illegal to be there without health insurance).

    Hope that helps, good luck to you!

    Anonymous 05 jan 2005, 04:54 - Rapporteer misbruik
  • Asking for help!

    HI. I´m a mexican woman and my boyfriend is dutch. We wanna live together in The Hague. Please if you find out some more information, please share it with us! Thanks!

    Anonymous 18 jan 2005, 06:49 - Rapporteer misbruik
  • Residency

    Remember the rules for Americans, Canadiand, japanese, Australians an persons from New Zealand are different as they do not have to apply for an entry clearance (mvv) before coming overhere.

    I suggest anyone with a Dutch partner to take a look at the following two forums:


    Anonymous 05 okt 2005, 04:03 - Rapporteer misbruik
  • 2 US gay citizens wanting to marry 2 dutch people to live in Holland

    We want to move there, and dont know where to turn. Any suggestions on how to go about marrying either a Dutch man or mowann so we can live there would be helpful. we are VERY serious about this. Thank you in advance

    annonymous 17 dec 2007, 12:16 - Rapporteer misbruik
  • not sure if that's legal...

    Dear Anon,

    Sorry to say, but what you're suggesting is, well, probably against the law. If you're living together now in the US, then it may (emphasis on MAY) be possible for you to move as a couple to NL if one of you qualifies for the local eased work permit program.

    A number of European countries, in fact, do recognize unmarried partnerships. There is some information on the two following links:

    You would need to be able to show the right evidence to authorities, but others have done it and it's worked out.

    JoeF 08 jan 2008, 09:28 - Rapporteer misbruik
Deze forums zijn niet langer actief. Als je een nieuwe discussie wilt starten, ga dan naar onze nieuwe Nederland Forums.