Work Permits

When and how to apply for them

Work Permits

Foreigners travelling to Argentina with the purpose of performing work (paid or unpaid) need a visa.

Internships are considered work so a work visa is required. This visa is issued by the National Directorate of Migration ( Dirección Nacional de Migraciones) in Argentina. Be aware that for this kind of visa permission has to be given by the National Directorate of Migration in Argentina. This permission is normally applied for directly by the contracting company or institution in Argentina. In some cases the Consulate will apply for permission.

There is a charge for making a visa application (this varies from country to country, so you should ask your local Argentinean consulate). In Europe, this charge is approximately 200 euros. The issuing costs of the visa are approximately 100 euros to be paid to the consulate. In the USA, there is $100 application fee, plus an $80 consular certification charge for the worker’s signature on an employment contract.

If the company or institution that sends you to Argentina is not registered as a legal entity in Argentina, a ‘declaration’ from the authorities in the company’s or organization’s country of origin should be presented at the Argentine consulate as well as commercial references. Ask your local Argentine consulate for their requirements as these can differ from one country to another.

The requirements to apply for a work visa are:

  • Labour contract with the company or institution in Argentina
  • Birth certificate, translated into Spanish by a certified translator
  • Marital certification, translated into Spanish by a certified translator (if an application is being made for a spouse)
  • Passport with a minimum validity of 18 months remaining (for each family member)
  • 3 passport photo’s for each family member (4x4; preferably light blue background; ¾ profile right side)

The most common types of work visas are:

  • Article 29 (e) visas – This visa is a short term visa and is issued for short term work in Argentina. The initial validity is of 15 days and can be extended for another 15 days once in Argentina.
  • Article 15 (E) visa (Labour Contract – Temporary Residence Visa) – This visa is issued for employees and people on internships contracted by companies in Argentina. The minimum duration is 6–12 months. You will be treated as a local employee that means a CUIL has to be applied for as well. A formal labour contract between the company in Argentina and the employee is required in order to obtain the visa.
  • Article 15 (E) visa (Secondment – Temporary Residence Visa) under provision 18/94 – This visa is issued to employees send abroad by their company for at least 6–12 months. A labour contract is not required


  • Persons having a contract with an Argentinean company or institution also have to sign an employment agreement in the presence of the consul (there is usually a supplementary charge for this made by the consulate)
  • Persons sent to Argentina by foreign companies have to sign their labour agreement at the corresponding company.
  • Spouses and children of applicants of a temporary working permit that want a permit to live in Argentina have to show proof of the family ties. This can be done by means of a marriage certificate and/or birth certificates at an international form.

Once employees arrive in Argentina, they also need to apply for a DNI/ National Identity Document and a CUIL/ Unique Code for Work Identification.

DNI (Documento Nacional de Identidad)

A DNI is a small document which is best compared to a social security number. The DNI document contains information about your identity. Most important in this document is your personal number. Whenever entering into a contract or for many administrative or financial/commercial situations your DNI number will be required.

In order to get your DNI you will have to register within 90 days with the Registro Nacional de las Personas that has jurisdiction over the area you are living in. A list of the Registro Civiles in Argentina can be found by clicking here . The cost of a DNI is AR$ 15.


  • Original Birth Certificate, legalized by the Argentine Consul in your country of Origin or apostil of The Hague Seal if the country of origin has ratified the Hague Convention
  • Certificate of residence issued by the National Directorate of Migration
  • A document stating your personal address

CUIT (Clave Única de Identificación Tributaria)

CUIT is a unique tax identification Code. Companies and organizations in Argentina are required to have a CUIT in order to contribute taxes. You have to apply for it with the Administración Federal de Ingresos Públicos (AFIP) in the area where your business is located. If you do not have a Business/Commercial address, the address on you Identity Card will be used. You can apply either in person for a CUIT or by using a third party. If you decide to apply in person you will have to present the application form to the AFIP officer. When using a third party to apply for you, the application form will have to be certified by the police, a bank or an escribano (notary public).

In order to apply you need to fill out the “160/F form”. Individuals, as well as members of cooperatives, either being Argentineans or foreigners that wish to apply have to present this document together with a copy of their DNI. Foreigners that do not have a DNI will have to bring a copy of their passport or certificate of the immigration office ( Dirección Nacional de Migraciones). AFIP will give you a copy of your application.

CUIL (Clave Único de Identificación Laboral)

This is a unique code for work identification purposes. The CUIL is an individual tax identification number used by employers to withhold income taxes and to transfer it to the government.

You need this card in order to make government and business transactions in Argentina and to be assigned to the Argentine company’s payroll.

There are several ways to apply for a CUIL:

  • Through the website of the Administración Nacional de la Seguridad Social (ANSES): 
  • In person at Unidades de Atención Integral (UDAI), Delegations or Offices of ANSES.
  • By telephone, through the telephone customer service units/ Unidades de Atención Telefonica (UDAT) after which documents will have to be sent by mail.

The application for a CUIL can be done by the employer or the employee at the nearby ANSES office or by telephone.

Argentineans or foreigners residing permanently in Argentina should also show their DNI or driving license and a copy of document which states the number of your identification document, name and last name, and your current address.

Foreigners residing temporarily in Argentina and who do not hold Argentinean identification should show a means of identification and a copy of the Certificado Nacional de Población y Migraciones (DNPyM) or an entry permit issued by the Argentinean consulate or international agreements.

Further reading

Does this article help?

Do you have any comments, updates or questions on this topic? Ask them here: