Other Legal Documents

Other documents you might need

Other Legal Documents

Besides your visa you will find out that more legal documents are required when living in Argentina. When opening a bank account, buying a house or starting to work you are most likely to come across the following documents:

DNI (Documento Nacional de Identidad)

A DNI is a small document which is best compared to a social security number. The DNI document contains information about your identity. Most important in this document is your personal number. Whenever entering in a contract your DNI number will be required.

In order to get your DNI you will have to register within 90 days with the Registro Nacional de las Personas that has jurisdiction over the area you are living in. For more information on the DNI you can visit the official government website . A list of the Registro Civiles in Argentina can be found by clicking here . The cost of a DNI is AR$ 15.


  • Original Birth Certificate, legalised by the Argentinean Consul in your country of Origin or apostil of The Hague Seal if the country of origin has ratified the The Hague Convention
  • Certificate of residence issued by the National Directorate of Migration
  • A document stating your personal address

CUIT (Clave Única de Identificación Tributaria)

CUIT is a unique tax identification Code. Companies and organizations in Argentina are required to have a CUIT in order to contribute taxes. You have to apply for it with the Administración Federal de Ingresos Públicos (AFIP) in the area where your business is located. If you do not have a Business/Commercial address, the address on you Identity Card will be used. You can apply either in person for a CUIT or by using a third party. If you decide to apply in person you will have to present the application form to the AFIP officer. When using a third party to apply for you, the application form will have to be certified by the police, a bank or an escribano (notary public).

In order to apply you need to fill out the “160/F form”. Individuals, as well as members of cooperatives, either being Argentineans or foreigners that wish to apply have to present this document together with a copy of their DNI. Foreigners that do not have a DNI will have to bring a copy of their passport or certificate of the immigration office ( Dirección Nacional de Migraciones). AFIP will give you a copy of your application.

CUIL (Clave Único de Identificación Laboral)

This is a unique code for work identification purposes. The CUIL is an individual tax identification number used by employers to withhold income taxes and to transfer it to the government.

You need this card in order to make government and business transactions in Argentina and to be assigned to the Argentinean company’s payroll.

There are several ways to apply for a CUIL:

  • Through the Administración Nacional de la Seguridad Social (ANSES) website: www.anses.gov.ar 
  • In person at Unidades de Atención Integral (UDAI), Delegations or Offices of ANSES
  • By telephone, through the telephone customer service units/ Unidades de Atención Telefonica (UDAT) after which documents will have to be send by mail

The application for a CUIL can be done by the employer or the employee at the nearby ANSES office or by telephone.

Argentineans or foreigners residing permanently in Argentina should also show their DNI or driving license and a copy of document which states the number of your identification document, name and last name, and your current address.

Foreigners residing temporary in Argentina and who do not hold Argentinean identification should show a means of identification and a copy of the Certificado Nacional de Población y Migraciones (DNPyM) or an entry permit issued by the Argentinean consulate or international agreements.

Certificado de Domicilio

This document is a statement that proofs you live at the address you say you live. The Certificado de Domicilio is required for at several situations. It is issued by the Police. The application process is very simple. You have to visit the police office with jurisdiction of your area. There you make an appointment and the next day an officer will pass by your house to see if you live there. If you do, a certificate will be handed over. The certificate will cost around AR$ 10.

Further reading

Does this article help?

Do you have any comments, updates or questions on this topic? Ask them here: