Study in Chile

Applying for a student visa

Study in Chile

Depending on the type and duration of your studies you may need to apply for the student visa. Student visas are valid for one year and can be extended. Once you have completed your studies you can apply for permanent residency.

The student visa “Visa de Estudiante” is valid for a maximum of one year. For students on a scholarship programme, it is valid for the duration of the scholarship. For students in language programmes or who plan on studying for less than six months, a study visa is usually more trouble than it’s worth.

If you plan on studying for more than six months, you should apply for a student visa. You can apply either at the Immigration Department of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs in Santiago, or at a Chilean embassy before you depart.

Student visas are valid upto a year and can be renewed from within Chile. Remember to apply for an extension BEFORE your first visa expires.

NB. It is illegal to work if you hold a student visa.


When applying for a student visa you will need to pay an application fee. This varies depending on your nationality, and you should check with the local Chilean embassy. You must also provide the following documents:

  • A certificate of enrollment or letter of acceptance from your university or school
  • A letter of confirmation that the course and school is government approved
  • A police clearance certificate
  • 4 passport-sized photographs
  • A health certificate
  • Application form
  • Valid passport

Allow around 2-6 weeks (sometime less) for the issuing of your visa.

Further reading

Does this article help?

Do you have any comments, updates or questions on this topic? Ask them here: