Chile working holiday visas

Eligibility, requirements and conditions

Chile working holiday visas

Nationals of Australia, Canada and New Zealand can apply for a working holiday visa which allows them to work temporarily, full-time or part-time in Chile for 12 months. This is a type of temporary residency visa.

If you want to experience life in Chile but not commit fully to a residency visa, you can apply for a working holiday visa. You must, however, have a valid passport from Canada, Australia or New Zealand.

You can apply for this visa in your home country at a Chilean embassy or consulate.

Working holiday requirements and conditions

The requirements for people applying for this visa are:

  • Holders of a valid New Zealand, Australian or Canadian passport
  • Aged between 18 and 31 (upto 35 for New Zealanders)
  • Have a return travel ticket
  • Have sufficient medical insurance to cover your entire stay in Chile
  • Have sufficient funds to support yourself during the stay or until you find work (at the discretion of the authorities)
  • Must have paid the visa fee

The visa conditions are as follows:

  • This visa can only be used once, and cannot be extended or renewed
  • The visa is valid for 12 months from the issue date
  • You can work part-time or full-time but only for a maximum of six months for the same employer. (You cannot work the full 12 months for the same person).
  • You cannot travel with children, but if you wish to apply with a spouse you must both fill out separate applications forms.
  • The visa does not guarantee employment or housing - the applicant is responsible for finding work and accommodation.
  • Employment shouldn’t be the main reason for this visa. Employment should be used to fund your travels around Chile.

There is a yearly quota for this type of visa. Applications open in October for the following year’s quota.  

Applying for the visa

You should apply for this visa in your local Chilean embassy. You will require the following documents (the exact requirements may vary depending on your country):

  • A valid New Zealand/Australia/Canada passport
  • A copy of the information page of your passport
  • 3 or 4 passport sized photographs
  • A medical report
  • A police report
  • A completed application form - downloadable from the Chilean embassy website in your country
  • Application fee of US$150 (payable in the currency of your country).

If your application is successful, you will be issued with a certifying letter which grants a temporary residence visa. You have 90 days from the issue date of the letter to enter Chile. The visa is valid 12 months from your entry into Chile.

Follow the links for the embassy websites in Canada , Australia  and New Zealand  for more information.

Further reading

Does this article help?

Do you have any comments, updates or questions on this topic? Ask them here: