Who can apply for a permanent residency visa
A permanent residency visa allows you reside in Colombia and come and go freely over a five year period.There are different ways to obtain this type of visa as listed below:
If you already have had one of the following temporary visas over a period of five years, then you can apply to exchange it for a permanent residency visa (Visa de Residente):
- TP-3 - Student
- TP-4 - Offered work
- TP-5 - Religious group member
- TP-7 - Retired, business owner, property owner, medical treatment
- TP-9 - Refugee or asylum-seeker
- TP-10 - Spouse or partner of a Colombian national (this visa is only required to have been held for 3 years before being able to apply for permanent residency)
It is required to have had continual and uninterrupted renewal of these visas over a period of several years in order to be eligible for the permanent residency visa.
There are also certain cases where a temporary visa is not initially required:
- You can apply as an investor however the terms of the visa state you must have an investment of more than £65,000 in Colombia.
- Colombian expats who were obliged to renounce their Colombian citizenship are given residency if they decide to move back to Colombia.
- The visa is immediately offered to parents of Colombian children.
- You are entitled to the residency visa if your parents had a Colombian residency visa at the time of your birth.
- One of your parents is a Colombian national.
How to apply for a permanent residency visa
- Fill out and sign DP-FP-67 “Application for a visa” form .
- A valid passport or travel document, in good condition and with a minimum of two blank pages.
- Two 3x3 cm colour photographs against a white background.
- Present an authentic copy of the birth document of the Colombian son or daughter (if applicable)
- Photocopy of the citizenship card of the father or mother of the Colombian national (if applicable)
- Copy of the temporary visas certifying the uninterrupted five years or three years (in the case of a spouse who is a Colombian national) continuous residence in Colombian territory, as appropriate.
- Certificate of judicial or police history of the last country of residence issued by the competent authority not more than six (6) months previously, except in the case of minors under 18 or adults over 65 years of age.
The visa is issued at the following address: Ministry of Foreign Affairs, Avenida 19 No. 98-03, 3rd and 4th Floors, Bogota D.C.
When applying for residency with a Colombian national who is a spouse, an interview may take place with both parties.
Once you have a permanent residency visa you can apply for Colombian citizenship after staying in the country for 2-5 years, depending on your situation.