Proof of German required by German universities


As a foreign student you must prove adequate knowledge of the German language in order to study in Germany.

As a general rule, you will have to take the German language proficiency test - DSH ( Deutsche Sprachprüfung für den Hochschulzugang ausländischer Studienbewerber) or the TestDaF ( Test Deutsch als Fremdsprache für ausländische Studienbewerber).

In some cases, you might be exempted from the DSH or TestDaF, for example:

  • for a single semester periods of study in Germany (some institutions allow 2 semesters)
  • if you hold a higher education entrance qualification ( Abitur) from a recognised school (in Germany or abroad) at which German was the language of instruction
  • hold the Goethe-Institute's minor or major German Language Certificate ( Kleines/Großes Sprachdiplom) or advanced level 'Central Advanced Language Test' ( Zentrale Oberstufenprüfung)
  • if you hold the 'German Language Certificate, Level II', of the 'German Standing Conference of Ministers of Education and Culture' ( Deutsches Sprachdiplom - Stufe II - der Kultusministerkonferenz).

If you are required to take the DSH you will probably have to take the exam at the institution you're planning to study at in Germany.

Further reading

Does this article help?

Do you have any comments, updates or questions on this topic? Ask them here: