Tax number

How to register

Tax number

If you are staying in Malaysia for more than 182 days in a year, you are considered resident under Malaysian tax law and have to pay taxes.

Registering for a Malaysian tax number is not very complicated. You can do the registration either on-line or at the nearest branch of the Malaysian Inland Revenue Board (IRBM) (Lembaga Hasil Dalam Negeri Malaysia). This is the responsible agency operated by the Ministry of Finance Malaysia. You can find a list of the branches on their website  which also provides detailed information on all tax related topics and issues.


Get and submit your application at any IRBM office in the country or online via e-Daftar . Forward the following documents together with your application:

  • A copy of the latest payroll
  • A copy of the Identification Card or international passport
  • A copy of the marriage certificate (if applicable)

Further reading

Does this article help?

Do you have any comments, updates or questions on this topic? Ask them here: