Driving License

Whether you need one and how to apply

Driving License

You may drive legally in Panama with your driving license for a period of up to 90 days from the date of your arrival (Panama entry stamp).

Beyond that period, you will need an international license valid for a year. You can obtain the international license in your own country, before leaving. The international license is a translation of your national driving license in the nine officials languages of the United Nations including English, French, Russian and Spanish.

If you are going to settle for a longer period, you will need a local license. Once you have a residency permit, you can apply at the Traffic Authority (Autoridad del Transito y Transporte Terrestre: ATTT) authorized Driver’s License Center in Albrook known as the Servicio de Emisión de Licencia de Conducir (SERTRACEN, www.sertracen.com.pa/ ).

To apply you will need: your passport, your home country license; a certificate of authenticity with respect to the foreign license (issued by your Consulate in Panama); an official document from the Ministry of Foreign Affairs which certifies the signature of your Consul; your Panamanian ID card (which you will receive once you are an official resident in Panama by the Department of Migration and Naturalization); blood type test results and the application fee (US$40 in cash).

Further reading

Does this article help?

Do you have any comments, updates or questions on this topic? Ask them here: