What jobs to look for

What areas are popular with expats

What jobs to look for

Expats have a number of options if they are arriving in the Philippines unemployed. Though in recent years Philippine Immigration has been tightening its rules on tourists looking for work and staying more permanently, it is possible to find a job with the correct attitude and planning.

Teaching languages in the Philippines

There isn’t as much demand for English teachers as there is in other Asian countries due to the majority of Filipinos being quite proficient in English after years of American colonial rule. Other languages such as Japanese, Chinese, German and more recently Arabic are becoming popular within language schools. That said, there are a host of EFL websites to help you find a job, and with a teaching qualification it is possible to find work in one of the many language schools. There is also a increasing demand for accent trainers for call centre staff if you want to try something other than regular teaching. Websites such as Dave’s ESL cafe  and Career Jet  have a wide range of teaching jobs for English speakers.


If you want to give a bit back to the community, feel good and integrate with local Filipinos then volunteering may be for you. There is a whole host of volunteering programmes from conservation to teaching. Ensure you have funds to support yourself though accommodation is usually provided. If you are an American citizen the Peace Corps also operates in the Philippines for longer placements. Websites such as www.globalvolunteernetwork.org/  have placements in the Philippines. For something more specific try www.visayans.org/  which is a volunteer programme that operates in the Visayans (central Philippines).


Many expats come to the Philippines with the expectation of setting up their own company. While this is far from impossible it isn’t easy. If you have an idea and are determined to make it work then it is worth all the paperwork you will have to provide. All businesses have to be registered either with the Securities and Exchange Commission (for corporations) or the Department of Trade (single proprietorships). After you have registered with the correct department you must then register your company with the Bureau of Internal Revenue and finally the local government. After this you will have the correct paperwork to start trading. It is worth remembering that, depending on the type of business, if you are a foreigner you are only permitted to own 40%, the other 60% must be owned by Filipinos.

Further reading

Does this article help?

Do you have any comments, updates or questions on this topic? Ask them here: