Temporary visas in the Philippines

Non-immigrant visas

Temporary visas in the Philippines

There are several different types of non-immigrant visas available depending on your circumstances.

Non-immigrant visas are those issued for short visits. A holder of a non-immigrant visa cannot apply for permanent residency within the Philippines, but must leave the country and apply at an appropriate foreign Philippine embassy or consulate.

Temporary Visitor Visa for Tourism


The following are allowed to enter the Philippines without a visa for stays of up to 59 days:

  • Brazilian passport holders
  • Israeli passport holders

The following must have a visa for stays longer than 7 days:

  • Hong Kong Special Administrative Region (SAR) passport holders
  • British National Overseas (BNO) passport holders
  • Portuguese passport holders issued in Macao
  • Macao Special Administrative Region (SAR) passport holders

A temporary visitor visa must be used for stays longer than 21 days (see exceptions above). Once you have obtained a temporary visitor visa you may stay in the Philippines for leisure purposes for up to 59 days.

Standard Requirements

  • A passport valid for more than 6 months after the intended trip to the Philippines
  • Completed, signed visa application forms (if applicant is a minor then either parent can sign)
  • One or two passport-sized photographs of the applicant
  • Photocopy of applicant’s itinerary, return flight ticket or booking
  • Non-refundable visa fee payable by cash or postal draft to the Embassy in applicant’s home country

Visitors wishing to extend their stay can apply for an Extension of Stay at any office of the Bureau of Immigration (BI) in the Philippines before the 59 days expires (charges apply).

Student Visas

Student visas are issued only if the applicant has been accepted into a recognised programme of study. The visa is valid for the duration of the course only and can be obtained while already in the Philippines. To apply for a student visa applicants must provide:

  • Proof of their identity, including a birth certificate authenticated by a Philippine embassy
  • Proof of their education to date
  • Proof of funding or funds with which to support themselves during their course
  • Once accepted on to a course a Notice of Acceptance (NOA) will be issued by the college

If the course is medical or in another specialist area then the student will be issued with a Certificate of Eligibility for Admission (CEA).

As well as these documents, applicants will also need to undergo a medical check and obtain police clearance.

To apply for a student visa while in the Philippines the process and documentation required is nearly identical.

Pre-arranged Employment Visas

These visas are issued to people going to the Philippines to start work. They are issued by the consulate or embassy in the applicant’s home country only after the Department of Foreign Affairs (DFA) in Manila gives permission.

The prospective employer must file a petition to the Department of Labour and Employment (DOLE) to issue a pre-arranged employment visa for the employee. The applicant must submit the following documentation to their local consulate or embassy:

  • Passport with a minimum of 6 months remaining
  • Two completed application forms
  • Between 2 and 4 passport sized photographs
  • A medical certificate issued by an authorized physician
  • Police clearance
  • The visa application fee

If the applicant’s spouse and unmarried children wish to join them, then a copy of the marriage certificate and birth certificates will be needed along with photocopies of the relevant passports.

For more information see the Department of Immigration  website

Further reading

Does this article help?

Do you have any comments, updates or questions on this topic? Ask them here: