Specific required documentation to obtain a student visa (D-2)
- Admissions letter or certificate or registration issued by the dean/president of the college or university
- Proof of academic ability of applicant
- Summary of costs of program
And general required documentation (required for any type of visa)
- Passport valid for at least 6 months from the date of application
- 2 recent passport-style colour photographs
- Return travel ticket
- Completed and signed visa application form
For those who are travelling to South Korea for the purpose of research you might need the following additional documentation:
- Certificate from your most recent school/institution
- Documents outlining/substantiating the subject of research
- Letter of personal security assurance
Student visa applications must be made at Korean consulates or embassies in the country of your legal residence. In order to renew the visa once you are in South Korea, you will need to visit the Ministry of Foreign Affairs and apply there.
The application of the above mentioned 90-day student visa is processed faster and can easily be renewed once you are in Korea.
If you are planning to study in Korea for an extended period, it is advised that you register at your country's embassy once you arrive in case of any emergencies.