Things to remember

Before and after your move

Things to remember

Well prepared is half way there. This applies in particular when you move to another country. It also makes everyday life in a strange environment much easier.

Before you move – don´t forget

  • Remember the following documents: identity card or passport, driving licence, diplomas, work testimonials and curriculum vitae as well as passport photographs.
  • Complete form 18.44 (Declaration/Application for clearance of relocation goods) and submit it in duplicate to the customs authorities.
  • Remember your health and accident insurance.
  • Should you bring your pet, make sure that it has been vaccinated against rabies in accordance with Swiss regulations and has been fitted with a microchip or tattoo.
  • Don’t forget to obtain whichever E form is appropriate for your social situation (E111, E119, E301, E303, E101, E104).
  • Inform the authorities of your change of address!
  • Make use of the Swiss daily papers, TV and radio as well as the many websites to find out more about life in Switzerland.

Things to remember – after your move

  • Report to the local authorities within 14 days of your arrival in Switzerland. Take along your passport or identity card, your employment contract as well as passport photographs.
  • Register at the embassy of your native country based in Switzerland.
  • Bring along your complete application file and Form E303 (Exportation of services).

If you are an EU national and are looking for a job, you can stay in Switzerland for three months without a permit. Thereafter you have to report to the cantonal migration office/aliens police. If you are already registered as unemployed, you must enquire at your employment office before your departure to Switzerland.

Conclude a household effects and private third-party insurance policy

In some cantons certain insurances are compulsory.RADIO/TV Report your radio and TV to the Swiss collection office for radio and TV reception charges.

Post office or bank account

In Switzerland, as a rule, your salary is directly paid into an account. We therefore recommend you to open an account at a bank or the post office. You will need an identity card for this.


After entering Switzerland you must register your car for a technical test. Vehicles kept in Switzerland for longer than a year must have a Swiss vehicle card and number plate. Change your driving licence for a Swiss one within 12 months.


Buy a bicycle sticker (vignette).

Further reading

Does this article help?

Do you have any comments, updates or questions on this topic? Ask them here: