Driving in Hungary

Regulations and zero tolerance policy

Driving in Hungary

Driving in Hungary can be chaotic and quite dangerous because Hungarian drivers tend to be careless on the road. The minimum age to drive a car in Hungary is 17 years.

Driving in Hungary is on the right hand side in line with the rest of mainland Europe, and overtaking is on the left only. If you’re outside of the urban areas, you must drive with dipped headlines at all times, since roads can be very dark.

Almost all the he roads in Hungary have been updated since the country entered the European Union in 2007, therefore the roads tend to be in good condition, especially in urban areas. If you’re planning on driving on the motorways, you must obtain a toll sticker. Highways in Hungary may only be used after a payment of a toll for road use.

Rules and regulations

  • It’s compulsory to wear a seatbelt.
  • Mobile phones may not be used, however mobile phones with a headset are allowed.
  • Dipped headlights must be used all times in rural areas.
  • Motorcyclists must wear a helmet.

The following speed limits apply:

  • Urban areas: 50km/h (30mph)
  • Rural areas:  110 km/h (68 mph) or 90 km/h (55 mph)
  • Motorways: 130 km/h ( 80 mph)

Note that speed limit is strictly enforced in Hungary and if you are caught speeding you may be given an on-the-spot fine.

Types of road

Hungary has only a few motorways and the rest of the country is connected with dual-lane carriageways.

Motorways are marked with the letter M, national highways are numbered by a single digit and secondary roads are marked with double digits. If you wish to use the motorway, you will need a pay a toll.


The limits for driving after having a drink are 0.5 g/litre in blood or 0.25 g/litre in breath. Drink-driving is a serious offence and your driving licence can be taken away on the spot and you’re not allowed to drive for a period of time.

What to do if you have a car accident

In case a minor accident occurs, the drivers can settle the case between themselves.

For more serious accidents you should try not to move the car that is involved until the Accident Report Form  has been filled in.

Next, the accident report form should be sent to the insurance company within a certain amount of time, however this depends on the insurance company. Usually, it’s five days for the driver responsible and 15 days for the victim.

It’s advisable to take pictures of the car and any other details that could help to settle the case.

Emergency numbers

  • Ambulance - 104
  • Emergency - 112
  • Fire brigade - 105
  • Police - 107

Renting a car in Hungary

An international driver’s licence is needed if you would like to rent a car, however it depends on the category of the vehicle you would like to rent. You must have had your driver’s licence for at least one year.

Car rental companies

The main car rental companies in Hungary are as follows:

Further reading

Does this article help?

Do you have any comments, updates or questions on this topic? Ask them here: