Foreign residents are able to use their own car for up to six months. After that these six months, you must register your foreign car. Registering a car can be quite expensive and the process can take up to a week with a lot of paper work. If you wish to register your car, you must have a tax number and an address card.
Moreover, owners of cars registered from non-EU countries must also pay duties when importing a car.
Registering your vehicle
- Your car must be checked at a technical test station. Cars that meet the European standards will pass the technical test and are ready to be registered in Hungary.
- An appointment can be booked and includes the following steps:
- Registration procedure is started
- Car is tested for safety
- The documents of the vehicle are checked
- Fees for the test are paid
The following documents are required:
- Identity card
- Address card
- Original registration papers of the vehicle
- A proof that your car is no longer registered in the country of origin
After passing the technical test, the registration tax will be issued at the customs service.
The tax is calculated depending on the following criteria
- Size of the engine
- Fuel type
- Age of car
Last but not least, the car can be finally registered at the local Office for Administrative and Electronic Public Services (Önkormányzati Okmányiroda).