Your driving licence must be exchanged for a Hungarian licence if it’s issued by a country outside the EU. If you have a licence from outside the EU you can drive with it for one year in Hungary, after which time you need to exchange it for a Hungarian one.
Your original licence should be handed in when a Hungarian driving licence is issued.
Citizens from countries which have joined the 1968 Vienna Conventions of Road Signs and Signals can exchange their licence for a Hungarian one without having to pass a test.
These documents are needed to exchange your licence
- Passport or Identity Card
- Address card (not the same as resident permit - an address card is a proof of residence, which is needed for the daily life in Hungary)
- Driving licence and its original translation
- School certificates (elementary school certificates, eight years of school, are needed to obtain a driver’s licence in Hungary )
- Completed application form
Applicants must pass several tests
- Medical check up
- Pass theory exam
- Pass driving test
- First aid exam or traffic exam