Schengen visas are valid in all treaty member states. These visas may be:
- Airport Transit Visa
- Transit Visa (valid for 24 hours)
- Short-Stay Visa (valid for up to 90 days and for single or multiple entries)
Limited Territorial Validity visas (LTV) are only valid within the Schengen state where the visa was issued. LTV visas tend to be issued in specific cases of emergency, and you can rarely apply for one.
Long stay or "national" visas are valid for visits longer than 90 days. These visas allow you to travel freely in other Schengen member states from the country of issue but only for five days at a time.
Non EU nationals who wish to stay in Malta for longer than 90 days will be granted a "national" visa before being issued a residence permit.
Documentation required for visa applications
The documentation required for Visa applications includes the following:
- Visa application form (must be completed in triplicate).
- Valid passport
- Valid re-entry visa to your next country of destination.
- Two very recent, identical passport photographs
- Confirmation of a return ticket