Driving permits

Getting your Norwegian drivers licence

Driving permits

Whether moving to Norway permanently or just visiting, there are certain rules that must be followed when it comes to obtaining a drivers licence.  

Norway is considered a EU/EEA country so if you have a drivers licence from any of the EU/EEA countries, you are free to drive. You do not need to exchange your licence for a Norwegian one as long as your licence is valid in the country that it was issued.

While visiting Norway, licences from non-EU/EEA countries can be used for up to 3 months or until residency is established.

If you have moved to Norway indefinitely and you have a drivers licence from one of following countries: Australia, Canada, Hong Kong, Israel, Monaco, New Zealand, San Marino, South Korea or the USA, you can exchange it for a Norwegian licence after passing a practical exam. The exchange must be made within in a year.

If you have a class B driver licence from Japan or Switzerland, it can be exchanged for a Norwegian licence within a year without having to take a practical driving test.

If you have a class B driver licence from Greenland that has been issued after January 1, 1995 it can also be exchanged for a Norwegian licence without having to take the practical driving test.

All other licences cannot be exchanged therefore a person wanting to acquire a Norwegian licence must take both written and practical driving tests. Follow the link for more information on driving in Norway and driving licences .

Further reading

Does this article help?

Do you have any comments, updates or questions on this topic? Ask them here: