There are lots of car rental companies in Romania, below are links to some of them. It is a good idea to shop around for the best price and make sure that you check conditions, especially the insurance coverage:
Here are some general rules of the road and advice for driving in Romania. The most important thing is to drive carefully, defensively, and try not loose your temper.
- Drive on the right.
- Overtake on the left.
- Give way to traffic entering a roundabout.
- Seat belts required outside of towns.
- Your headlights should always be on even during daytime.
- Speed limit inside cities is 50 km/hour, National roads 90km/hour, European roads 100km/hour and on the highway 130 km/hour.
- Drinking and driving is strictly prohibited.
- In case of an accident, call and wait for the police (Poliţia) and Ambulance (Salvarea) to arrive at the scene of the accident. Even for a small accident, you need to go to a special Police office to make a declaration as the circumstances of the incident.
- Police can stop you to check your diving license and the documents related to the car, such as ownership and insurance.
- Take special care on country roads and in villages. Aside from the variation in quality of roads and signposting, it is common to come across slow-moving horses and carts. For this reason, avoid driving after dark if possible- carts rarely have lights and accidents are common.
- The condition of roads, especially outside big cities, is poor. This situation is improving and money is being invested in improvements of the infrastructure.
- Gas/petrol stations can usually be found on the main roads departing/entering a city/town.
- If you drive during winter in mountainous area, you need to be very careful. It is highly recommended to have special equipment, such as snow-chains for wheels and a shovel to be clear snow. Try to avoid traveling when heavy snow is forecast.
- It is mandatory to have car insurance
Buying a car
If you want to buy a car, there are lots of car dealers; most automobile marques have dealers in Romania. For the latest information about selling and buying cars, address Automobil Club Roman - http://www.acr.ro/.