The application for the Hungarian citizenship has to be submitted in person to the Registrar at Local Council ( Anyakönyvvezető). An individual living outside of Hungary is required to submit an application to in the Hungarian Consulate in their country of residence.
What are the requirements?
- Valid Immigration Card
- Clean criminal record
- Certificate of a legal, valid accommodation
- Exam on constitutional fundamentals (citizenship exam); this exam has to be taken in Hungarian language
When can you apply for citizenship?
You can normally make an application for Hungarian citizenship once you have completed 8 years of continuous residence in Hungary. There are exceptions to this minimum limit in the following circumstances:
- If you were born in Hungary, you can apply for citizenship after 5 years of continuous residence.
- If you are married to a Hungarian citizen and/or are the parent of child who is Hungarian and is a minor and/or hold refugee status, you can make a Citizenship application after 3 years of continuous residence in the country.
- If you profess yourself to be Hungarian and can verify your ancestors were Hungarian citizens. In this case you can apply for Hungarian citizenship right after you received the Immigration Card.
- The President of Hungary approves a certificate of naturalization or a certificate of repatriation. This deed acts as a legal document for the acquisition of Hungarian citizenship. At the end of the naturalization process the applicant swears a citizenship-oath and becomes a Hungarian citizen.