Driving in Poland

What licence do you need to drive legally?

Driving in Poland

If you have an EU driving licence, you can use it to drive in Poland. If you are from outside of the EU you will have to obtain an International Driving Licence to drive in Poland.

Driver's licences issued by other EU member states are recognized in Poland and remain valid until the expiry date indicated on the document. Driver’s licences from outside the EU must be accompanied by an International Driving Permit (IDP). This must be obtained before the departure from an issuing agency in your home country.

Driving lessons in Poland

If you do not hold a driving licence, you will have to apply to one of the many schools that provide driving lessons. However, a residence permit is needed. Furthermore the permit must have already been valid for at least 185 days when you apply for driving lessons.

Usually a course will take two to three months, including the final theoretical and practical test. You can also take a crash course which only takes one month but these courses cost a lot more.

Getting a Polish license

You will have to finish a course and pass a midterm exam in order to receive your driving licence. After that you will have to take a theory and practical test. If you pass both, you will be the happy owner of a new Polish driving licence, which is valid in the entire EU.

General traffic rules

Seat belts are mandatory in both the front and back seats. Children under 12 years are not allowed to sit in the front seat. Headlights must be switched on at all times from October to March, but are recommended all year round. The use of mobile phones while driving is prohibited, unless used with a hands-free kit.

Further reading

Does this article help?

Do you have any comments, updates or questions on this topic? Ask them here:

Other comments

  • Krzysztof, 11 August 2011 Reply

    Headlights compulsory all the time

    Since 2006 headlights are required all the year. Other drivers will probably remind you by flashing their lights on you - but this can also mean "cops with radar ahead".

    • bbb-adventure.com 28 Nov 2011, 02:33

      speed limits

      It is always good to remember them:
      50 built-up area
      90 unbiult area
      120 expressways
      140 motorways

      have a nice drive happy