Residence permit

How to become resident in Poland

Residence permit

You can get a temporary residence (karta pobytu) in Poland if you can demonstrate that you will be staying in Poland for more than 3 months in order to work, study or for family reasons (e.g. marriage to a Polish citizen).

Permission for temporary residence is normally granted for a maximum of 2 years. A residency permit can then be renewed every subsequent two years.

An application for temporary residence should be submitted to the appropriate consulate of the Republic of Poland, normally that in your current country of residence. Foreign citizens already in Poland may apply directly to the appropriate regional office of a provincial governor.

A residence permit acts as your documentation for legal residence during your stay in Poland and allows you to travel to and from Poland. If you are relocating to Poland with your family, you and your partner, plus any children who will be relocating with you, will all need to apply for residence permits. You will need to provide proof of accommodation, employment and the ability to cover you and your family’s costs during your stay in Poland.

Further reading

Does this article help?

Do you have any comments, updates or questions on this topic? Ask them here: