A few useful tips
- Getting your NIE is not the easiest of tasks and, depending on the region, the process may differ slightly. If you have any questions, ring the appropriate office.
- Be aware that the majority of civil servants will only speak Spanish and you must submit Spanish versions of all the necessary forms.
- Try to book your appointment before you arrive in Spain
- Be prepared to wait around, even when you have a scheduled appointment.
How to apply
First, make an appointment. To do this:
- Click here
- Select Cita Previa Extranjeria and click Acceder al Procedimiento
- In the Provincias Disponibles drop down box, select the appropriate Spanish region and click Aceptar
- In the Trámites Disponibles Para La Provincia drop down box, select Policia-Asignación de NIE and click Aceptar
- A list of documents you need for your appointment will appear, click Entrar
- Enter your details and click Aceptar
- Select the best appointment for you
- Confirm your appointment and save the PDF appointment confirmation
You then need to pay the required application fee before attending your appointment:
- Fill in the Modelo 790-012 tax form online (make sure you select Asignación de Número de Identidad de Extranjero a instancia del interesado)
- Download and print the completed version
- Take all pages to a bank and pay the required fee (9,64€ Dec.2018)
- Make sure you get proof of payment
The final step is to attend your appointment with the following documents:
- Valid passport
- Completed EX-15 NIE application form and one photocopy (when filling out the form, do not check the option Consiento que las comunicaciones y las notificaciones se realicen por medios electrónicos if you do not have a digital signature)
- Printed PDF appointment confirmation
- Your Modelo-790-012 proof of payment (do not make a copy of this document, original is required)
Some will be issued a NIE immediately. Others will need to return to collect it. Don’t forget to take all of the required documents with you again when you return.