Family reunification

How to bring your loved ones to Spain

Family reunification

Once you’ve been living in Spain for a year, you can request for your family to join you. If you have an EU long-term residence permit from another state, an EU Blue Card or you’re a student or researcher, you can request your family to join you as soon as you arrive. This does not apply to EU, EEA or Swiss citizens, who can live and work in Spain without needing a work permit or visa.

Family documentation

In order to do this,you will need to complete an application form and hand over proof of I.D. and your relationship to the person who already has a visa. You can either apply with your Spanish embassy or consulate at home where you can also apply for a residents permit, or when you arrive in Spain, where they will need to present the following documents:

  • Their passport and passport of your family member in Spain
  • Proof of relationship
  • Evidence that there is enough living space for you to live
  • A sworn statement that you don’t live in Spain with another partner if your partner or spouse is coming to live with you
  • Evidence of employment and means of support
  • Evidence of health insurance

Applicant’s documentation

Once your family member has been granted the application, they have two months to go and apply for their visa at the Spanish embassy or consulate. Sometimes they may be required to have an interview, and present the following documents:

  • Passport
  • Proof of family relationship
  • Medical certificate
  • A ‘no criminal record’ certificate

Once the visa has been granted, the family member then has three months to arrive in Spain. Upon arrival they then have a month to go to the nearest Foreigner's Office and get their Foreigner's identification card (TIE) and identity number (NIE), and also register as a resident at the town hall.

Your family member's residence permit is valid for the same length of time as your own, and any family member over 18 can also work in Spain without needing to obtain a work permit.

It’s also important to note that any documents you need to provide will need to be translated into Spanish and notarized.

Further reading

Does this article help?

Do you have any comments, updates or questions on this topic? Ask them here: