Student Visas

Requirements for a student visa

Student Visas

If you don’t come from the EU, EEA or Switzerland, you will need a student visa to come to Spain to study for more than three months. This also applies if you plan on carrying out research, doing an internship or take part in an exchange programme.

You need to apply and get accepted to a course of study or programme by a recognised spanish institution in order to apply for a student visa. You will need confirmation of your acceptance to apply for your visa, which you can do with you Spanish embassy or consulate. You will also need to provide:

  • Proof of medical insurance
  • Your passport
  • Proof that you are financially able to support yourself in Spain
  • A medical certificate
  • A criminal record certificate

This list can vary depending on the embassy.

Length of stay

If your complete stay in Spain is for less than 3 months, you don’t need a visa to study as long as you come from a country that doesn’t require a visa to enter Spain normally. If your study period is for 6 months or longer, you will also be required to register for a residence permit or Foreigner Identity Card (TIE) within 30 days of arriving. You can also apply for family members to join you during your studies, which will allow relatives over 18 to work in Spain for the same amount of time that you’re studying without a work permit.

Further reading

Does this article help?

Do you have any comments, updates or questions on this topic? Ask them here: