Temporary & permanent residency permits

ARCs and APRCs what you need to know

Temporary & permanent residency permits

If you plan on staying in Taiwan for an extended period you will need to apply for either an ARC or an APRC, depending on how long you have been in Taiwan already.

Alien Resident Certificate (ARC)

An ARC allows foreign nationals working and studying in Taiwan to stay for up to three years without re-application. Multiple entry/re-entry is permitted, but it does not confer working rights and other benefits that permanent residency does.

Applications should be made no later than 15 days after your arrival in Taiwan, and extensions should be applied for 30 days before the card’s expiration. Changes of residence and employment should be registered with the authorities within 15 days.

Foreigners entering Taiwan on a visitor’s visa or with visa exemption should apply for resident visa status before ARC application.

Spouses and dependents of foreign nationals are permitted to apply for an accompanying ARC with appropriate proof of their relationship to the main applicant.

Documents required for ARC issued to foreign workers and students:

  • Application form
  • Passport and resident visa + one copy of each
  • Work permit issued by the Council of Labour Affairs; original plus copy
  • Original and one copy of: student enrollment verification, or student ID
  • Two passport sized photos (2”x2” and must have been taken in the last six months)
  • If applying for a spousal or dependent ARC, notarized proof of relationship must be shown. For example, birth certificate or marriage certificate.
  • Application fee of NT$1,000 for one year’s validity (NT$2,000 for two, NT$3,000 for three)

The application process takes two weeks

Alien Permanent Resident Certificate (APRC)

Expats who have spent a considerable time in Taiwan and wish to remain truly indefinitely should consider applying for an APRC which confers several benefits on foreign nationals. These include, the right to freely seek employment in Taiwan, and the right to reside overseas for up to half a year without the permit becoming invalid.

Holders of an APRC are not limited to work permit stipulations; they can seek employment in other professions without the two years experience required for a working visa, and they can legally hold more than one registered job. 

Applications are made through the local National Immigration Agency  office, who can inform you whether you qualify.

Some important requirements for an APRC are as follows:

  • You must prove you have resided in Taiwan for five years, specifically that you’ve spent more than 183 days of each year in the country.
  • You can apply if your spouse or child has documented residence of ten years, including at least five years stay with the minimum of 183 days per year
  • Proof of self-sufficiency in terms of: properly certified technical skills, ongoing employment, or income from investments.
    • OR: proof of one year’s income at double the minimum wage; property valued at more that NT$5,000,000
  • All relevant fees for certification and authentication by officials.

Documents required for an APRC

  • Completed application form
  • Colour photo (2”x2”)
  • Current and old passports, originals and one copy of each
  • ARC, original and one copy
  • Approved health certificate
  • Certification of relevant technical skills or financial assets
  • Certificates of police checks from the last five years, issued by home country and Taiwan
  • Other applicable supporting documents: e.g. marriage certificates, work permits etc

Applications are processed in 14 days, excluding time needed for interviews, and the submission of supporting documentation if required.

Further reading

Does this article help?

Do you have any comments, updates or questions on this topic? Ask them here: