Visitor visas

Short term stays for business, study or leisure

Visitor visas

Taiwan can grant short term visas to tourists, students and business people who wish to visit the country for no more than six months. They are applied for in advance and are issued for periods of up to ninety days. An extension on a short term visa will permit a total stay of up to six months.

Required documents

  • Passport - valid for at least six months after the date the visa is issued.
  • A completed application form
  • Two 2x2 inch colour photographs, taken within the last six months
  • Outbound airline ticket, or verified proof of purchase
  • Applicable fees for countries that don’t have a reciprocal visa agreement with the ROC.
  • Documents supporting the purpose of the visit, such as:
    • Business - a company letter certifying the applicant's valid employment; the record of business registration; the record of business transactions or the record of company tax.
    • Tourism/social visit - a proof of financial support (e.g. a bank account passbook; bank statement, or a proof of current employment.)
    • Visiting relatives - proof of relationship between the applicant and his/her relatives in Taiwan (e.g. birth certificate) and a photocopy of the relative's resident status in Taiwan (e.g. household registration, Alien Resident Certificate (ARC)).
    • Short-term study of Chinese - an enrollment certificate from a school accredited by the ROC Ministry of Education; attendance record and proof of sufficient funds to support the applicant’s tuition and living expenses during the period of the applicant’s stay in Taiwan.
    • Domestic helper travelling with employer - according to the Labour Law of the Republic of China, all prospective foreign employees must obtain a work permit from the Labour Affairs Council before entering Taiwan.
    • Employment, job contract, exchange students & internships or training courses - a permit from the ROC Council of Labour Affairs and an approval letter issued by a government department such as the Ministry of Economic Affairs or Department of Health.

Further reading

Does this article help?

Do you have any comments, updates or questions on this topic? Ask them here: