I have just returned to England after taking an Intensive German course in Germany for 4 months. As others have said some people learn quicker than others, but after 4 months i could talk basically and have basic conversations. Grammar is a nightmare, ein, eine, einen, einem just for 'a'....der, die, das, den, dem, des for 'the' ...there are seemingly 20 different combinations to every sentence depending on if it is in the Nominativ, Dativ, Akkusativ or Genetiv and the gender...formal speaking, informal speaking (the list goes on) To talk at a decent level, id say 10months to a year minimum, to be totally gramatically correct i would say several years.
Im now planning on going back for a further 4 months, to try to get better and then see from there if a life in Germany is possible. Im not sure i could ever do a 100% German job however there are opportunities with UK/US companies as well as working for a Language school or University teaching English.
Even if you never work in a professional job over there, learning, especially in a language school is a great experience.
Mike 22 may 2007, 07:05 - Denunciar
- That depends on you
- learning German
- meaby working in switzerland
- How long does it take to learn German?
- learning german
- One way to learning Swiss German.......
- But still not impossible!...
- Where can I learn In Bern?
- 6 months hard core!
- Deutsch deutsch deutsch!!!
- eine Frage ..
- If anybody needs help with german...
- Learning German via Internet - for free
- A good method
- I am native English wanting to learn german and willing to help german learn english