Road Tax in France

Information and useful tips

French-registered private vehicles no longer require a road tax certificate ( vignette automobile), except certain camper vans. If you use a vehicle over 3.5 tonnes for your business, it must be taxed, and if you run a business that has more than three vehicles, you must pay tax on the fourth, fifth, etc..

If you have vehicles that need taxing, you must declare them to the tax authorities when you acquire them and before 10th December each year. Forms 2856 and 2857 must be completed; these, along with other relevant information, can be found on the Tax Office’s website ( ).

If your vehicle requires a vignette, keep the receipt with your other car papers, as this proves that you didn’t acquire it illegally and also enables you to obtain a replacement if it’s stolen. If you need to replace your vignette, visit any tax office ( Centre des Impôts) and produce your receipt.

If you lose the receipt, you can obtain another from the issuing office, which keeps a record of payments.

Since January 2006 a tax has been added to the cost of a registration document for cars that emit more than a certain amount of carbon dioxide. The use of most motorways ( autoroute) and certain bridges and tunnels is ‘taxed’ in the form of tolls.

This article is an extract from Living and working in France. Click here to get a copy now.

Does this article help?

Do you have any comments, updates or questions on this topic? Ask them here:

Other comments

  • Tony Cahill, 22 November 2009 Reply

    1987 Mustang

    I own a 1987 GT 5 liter V8,any idea what it would cost to road tax in France,